Monday, May 21, 2012

Peru Panorama May 2012

When we decided to hike the Inca Trail I did what I usually do.  I searched the web for information and blogs.  I found plenty of blogs but very few from the perspective of middle aged hikers.  I decided to document our family trip with G Adventures in case there were others out there looking for the same information I was.  Our family consists of Neil and I (both 52) and our 23 and 21 year old sons who had just finished university.

After reading about how difficult the hike was I decided that the best thing I could do was to be in good physical shape.  To that end I started going to a fitness boot camp twice a week and trying to fit in at least one more cardio session each week starting in January before our May 4th departure.  One thing I didn't do was train stairs specifically.  First of all I don't have access to a stairclimber or multi story buildings and secondly,  I was a little nervous about wearing out the knees before we trekked.  I did do many many squats and lunges to build up muscle in my four months of training.  I also walk daily with my dogs.

Neil didn't do anything specific to train but he does have a job where he does a lot of walking and stairs.

Neither of the boys felt the need to train (plus they were pretty busy with school).

We chose the Peru Panorama trip because I wanted to do the home stay and also because I felt that the extra few days at altitude would help with the trek.  From my talks with some others who had spent less time at altitude I think it was a good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment